Isn’t it very common to hear or read the news of robberies planned and done by those who were domestic helpers for a long time? It is really sad that the most trusted servants becomes devils at times and do not hesitate in materializing their evil plans. In modern time our dependency on domestic servants is increasing and thus the cases of robberies by these helpers. Domestic helpers are the persons who everything and schedule of each family member thus carrying out an act of theft is not at all difficult for them. If they are staying with us then it is much easier for them. In some case they even kill the member of the family for few thousands of rupees and jewellery. We should be very careful while hiring these domestic servants. The targets are usually single woman, elderly people who are unable to defend themselves and kids at home. Full time servants are more dangerous than part time maids. Most of the times, the robberies are a result of our negligence. Due to our busy schedules which can be avoided if we follow some simple tips as it is said precaution is always better than cure.
If you are hiring a full time residential maid then follow these tips:
1. It is important to check the background of the servant before employing him or her.
2. Police verification is recommended to know if there is any criminal record of the person in the past. One should also register all the details and personal information of the servant with police.
3. Before hiring one must enquire about his or her health condition to prevent any disease to spread among family members.
4. If you are hiring a servant who belongs to some remote location then it is important to enquire his/her family details and necessary information of past jobs and behavioral issues if any.
5. Talk to the people who have hired him/her before to get the feedback of the person you are employing as a servant.
6. Be informed about the people your domestic servant interacts with in and outside your home so that you can have an idea what is going on in your servants mind.
7. Do not talk openly or in front of your servant about your wealth, cash, jewelry, family matters or other plans as it may prove risky for you and your family members.
8. If you have hired the maid for child care then it is more important to be totally vigilant and alert. You can install cameras to keep an eye on the behavior of your maid with child. Make changes in schedule and without notice come home early sometimes to make a surprise visit and check the situation at home.
9. If your child complains something (if able to talk) or behaves abnormally (if an infant) then look into the matter carefully instead of ignoring the situation.
10. Do not leave your servant at home alone while you and your family are on vacations. Instead send him or her to his home for a break.
11. Keep your belongings safe and don’t let your servant know about it as greed can take over a faithful servant to become robber.
12. It is advisable to be alert and never leave your servant unsupervised as he or she may take the advantage of the situation any time.
13. Don’t be too harsh with your domestic help as it may provoke them to take revenge. That is why communicate with him/her and should try to maintain a smooth relationship.
14. If you give cash to bring stuff to your servant then take record of money spent.
15. Avoid full dependency on your domestic help for everything. Do not give him/her full access to every part of your home.
In order to make things right just be a little cautious and believe me you can avoid an unpleasant happening in your home by your domestic help.