Now summer is here and kids are free from exams and studies. Everyone wants to enjoy summer days in fullest by indulging in various fun activities. During summers the day temperature is usually very high and in such a scenario it is difficult to play outside but early mornings and evenings are pleasant to enjoy outdoor activities. Swimming is one of the favourite activities of kids. But to prevent infections from the pool water it is important to ensure that the pool is safe for swimming. As during summers pools are usually over used if they are in a big apartment society. In such a situation it is important to maintain the pool properly. In a country like India hygiene is a real problem. Either people do not know or do not follow the rules of using a swimming pool. It is really sad but if we try at individual level we can educate people about pool hygiene and safety in the pool to avoid various health problems. Here are some don’ts that one must know and understand the reasons behind that.
For the user:
1. Do not enter the pool if you or your kids have any sort of skin disease temporary or permanent.
2. Do not enter the pool if you or your kids having slight or heavy cough, runny nose, red eyes or cold as it can spread to other users of the pool.
3. Do not spit or blow into the water as it is just disgusting and unhygienic.
4. Don’t leave very small kids into the water for a long time as they tend to pee when in the water. Take them to washrooms in between. Educate kids about pool hygiene.
5. Don’t enter into the pool without taking shower as it will not be healthy for pool water.
6. Don’t wear anything else except the swimming costume while swimming.
7. Do not avoid wearing swimming cap and swimming goggles whether you have short hairs or long hairs as they not only good for your scalp and eyes but also help to maintain hygiene.
8. Do not ignore very young kids and make sure they wear waterproof diapers to avoid any unforeseen situation.
For the maintenance staff
1. Don’t let the pool be a floating place for dried leaves, twigs and other flying waste items.
2. Don’t ignore any sort of minor leaks from pool as it can damage the structure if ignored for a long time. Instant action is recommended.
3. Don’t let anything stuck in the filter valves of the pool as they may affect the filtration process of pool water.
4. Don’t switch off the pump in few hours. If more people are using the swimming pool, the water needs to be filtered for a longer time. That is why at least 8 to 9 hours the pump should run during summers when pool usage is more to filter the complete water.
5. Don’t ignore the health of pool filtration machineries and equipments. They must be serviced time to time for smooth functioning.
6. Don’t let the cleaning agents misbalance the water chemistry. Too much chlorine can disturb the Ph balance of water. All cleaning agents must be mixed in appropriate quantity and the water quality must be checked time to time to ensure the safety for users.
7. Don’t ignore the walls and floor of swimming pool if there is any algae development seen. Proper cleaning of walls and floor using brush is recommended time to time.
8. Don’t let the water level go down then recommended. If the water level goes down then it should be filled back up to the full mark otherwise the filtration process will be affected. If possible you can install auto filling equipments which help in maintaining water level.
A swimming pool is a place to enjoy, exercise, play and learn swimming. It is everyone’s duty who is using the pool to keep it clean and safe for oneself as well as others and for that one needs to follow all the rules and regulations of using a pool whether it is a private pool, society’s pool or any other pool. We should behave responsible and educate the same our kids so that they will become responsible while using swimming pool. Try to make most of this summer by following all measures and be healthy.